|Irascible sort who moves into Doug and daughter Carrie's basement after he burned his own house down|
|Family and Personal|
|Related to:||Seamus Spooner (father)|
Carrie Heffernan (daughter)
Sara Spooner (daughter)
Doug Heffernan (son-in-law)
Spence Olchin (stepson)
|Episodes appeared in:||193 in series, Seasons 1-9|
|Character played by:||Jerry Stiller|
Erik Per Sullivan (child)
Arthur Eugene Spooner is the tritagonist and one of the 3 central characters on The King of Queens. He is Carrie's father and he moved into their house in the basement after he burned his own house down by cooking on his old hotplate in the Pilot. This causes many problems for Doug throughout the series. Arthur has had multiple wives and dozens of jobs. In the beginning of the series, he had another daughter, Sarah Spooner, who also lived with the Heffernans but in the middle of the first season, she was written out of the series. In later episodes, Sarah is never mentioned and it has been said that Carrie is an only child. He is portrayed by Jerry Stiller, comedian-actor Ben Stiller's father.
Arthur often states that he had close to 200 jobs in his lifetime.
- Before KoQ:
- "In and out of" marketing for almost 8 months (1950s)
- Production assistant on 'Sesame Street' (Early to mid-March 1976)
- Season 1:
- Ribbon salesman
- Monogrammed bowling balls (replaced by machine)
- Pretzel shop in mall (early in the series)
- Season 9:
- Self-employed: Renting himself and other seniors out to accompany people who want to use the carpool lane
- Employee in a publishing company (under the fake name 'Claude Gable', stole the job from Spence)
- Entertainment director at the Senior Center (probably unpaid)
- Arthur is a very good ping-pong player.
- Arthur always cheats at board games, and this would rub off on Carrie.
- Carrie's original name was Simone, but he lost the name in a poker game with Uncle Chester.
- Arthur used to be addicted to gambling and nasal spray.
- Arthur was born in 1925 and served in the U.S. Army during World War II.
- Arthur usually fits in Doug's friends Deacon, Spence and Danny.
- People do love his war stories in World War II
- Holly is the daughter that Arthur always wanted, no offense to Carrie.
- Arthur was an actor and performer prior to Carrie being born, but gave it up because he wanted to be there for his daughter throughout her childhood.
- Arthur is a communist, and has referred to the Soviet Union as a "workers paradise".