|Irascible sort who moves into Doug and daughter Carrie's basement after he burned his own house down|
|Family and Personal|
|Related to:||Seamus Spooner (father)|
Carrie Heffernan (daughter)
Sara Spooner (daughter)
Doug Heffernan (son-in-law)
Spence Olchin (stepson)
|Episodes appeared in:||193 in series, Seasons 1-9|
|Character played by:||Jerry Stiller|
Erik Per Sullivan (child)
Arthur Eugene Spooner is the tritagonist and one of the 3 central characters on The King of Queens. He is Carrie's father and he moved into their house in the basement after he burned his own house down in the Pilot. Arthur has had multiple wives and dozens of jobs. In the beginning of the series, he had another daughter, Sarah Spooner, who also lived with the Heffernans but in the middle of the first season, she was written out of the series. In later episodes, Sarah is never mentioned and it has been said that Carrie is an only child. He is portrayed by Jerry Stiller, comedian-actor Ben Stiller's father.
Arthur often states that he had close to 200 jobs
- Before KoQ:
- "In and out of" marketing for almost 8 months (1950s)
- Season 1:
- Ribbon salesman
- Monogrammed monograms (replaced by machine)
- Pretzel shop in mall (early in the series)
- Season 9:
- Self-employed: Renting himself and other seniors out to accompany people who want to use the carpool lane
- Employee in a publishing company (under the fake name 'Claude Gable', stole the job from Spence)
- Entertainment director at the Senior Center (probably unpaid)
- Arthur is a very good at ping pong.
- Arthur always cheats at life and this would rub off on Carrie.
- Carrie's original name was Simone, but he lost the name in a poker game with Uncle Chester.
- Arthur used to be addicted to nasal spray.
- Arthur was born in this country and served in the US army during WW2
- People do love his war stories in World War II
- Holly is the daughter that Arthur always wanted
- Arthur was an actor and performer prior to Carrie being born, but gave it up because he wanted to be there for his daughter throughout her childhood.
- Arthur is a communist, and has referred to the Soviet Union as a "workers paradise”